Home

I just watched the latest episode of 'Brothers and Sister' (series 4 episode 23 'Lights Out') and it really made me think about "home".

Last year my Dad sold my family house, it was probably really easy for him because of the break up between him and my Mum. But for me, it's horrible. The house it's self was nothing special but the memories that were created there mean more then anything to me. I lived there for 18 years and it's like those 18 years mean nothing to anyone anymore. I completely understand that us children have moved on, but why does that mean getting rid of everything that our past relies on? Even though both my Mum and Dad bought other houses to accommodate us, they will never be home - not to me. And it really upsets me when people take that for granted, like actually having a family and a home that they can just go to, when ever they want. It's like the material things are a lot more important to everyone.
Money actually means nothing, when you've got nothing to build it around. I'm not saying that I don't love my family, because I do, very much, but these past few weeks have been a real eye opener for me.
It kind of reminds me of this photo by Jim Goldberg:


There's that saying "home is where the heart is" but I literally don't know what that means anymore.